Stacey's Blog

Thursday, February 1, 2007

Snow Day!

First snow of the year around here! Actually, first snow in three years. No wonder my daughter got up at 5:45am and wanted to head outside. My husband, who's home in the mornings while I'm at work, convinced her reconsider. At least for a little while. This was the kind of snow you had to get out in quick, though, because it stopped around 9am and then the rain came. The kids didn't care. I got home about 10:30 and they'd already been out and come back in. After lunch, more time out in the snow. By then, though, it was slush. And it was raining. But after two winters with no snow, you couldn't tell kids in my neighborhood no. They were sledding and making snow men and jumping up and down. I grew up not far from New York City. Moved to Syracuse to go to college and stayed up that way for ten years. After all those winters of lake effect snow (115" average a year!) I'm happy about a snow-free winter. But I remember those days as a kid when you'd wake up and listen to the radio, cheering when your school was called off. These days, we don't own a sled or a snow shovel. My kids only have thin wool mittens and low, pretty boots - nothing that's going to hold up in the wet. Lea changed her clothes about four times. But none of that matters when the snow is flying and the hot chocolate is flowing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home