Stacey's Blog

Monday, May 7, 2007

The First Tee

So I was at SouthPark the other day, hanging out with Davis Love III. Just me and a few dozen of the PGA golfer's close, personal friends.
Love was kind enough to make an appearance to benefit The First Tee of Charlotte. It's a great group that uses golf to reach out to kids. Sort of like a Big Brothers, Big Sisters with a driving range.
I know Ralph Lauren is one of Love's sponsors, but I still think it was nice of him to come to the store. He had to spend time schmoozing with people like me.
There were probably about 40 of us mingling aimlessly around the store, making small talk and nibbling whatever it was they were passing on trays.
They had a small cocktail bar set up in the back (the children's apparel section!). I stuck to water - excuse me, sparkling water - it was a work night and I had to get back up to Davidson. Even so, they must have offered me a glass of wine about five times.
About an hour into it, Davis Love showed up and he couldn't have been nicer. I talked to him for a while about the First Tee. He was enthusaistic and explained that golf is just a way to reach these kids who really need mentors and people to look up to.
Then I asked him about playing in the Wachovia Championship. That conversation went something like this. Me:"How was it out there today?" DLIII :"Windy."
I probably spent about five minutes with him.. and then he had to do that about 40 more times!
Photographer Ron Deshaies took this picture (thanks, Ron!) and you can see more from this event and other great pictures of Charlotte events at his website, Treasured Events of Charlotte.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home