Stacey's Blog

Thursday, September 6, 2007

A Day At The Fair

We recently took the kids to Tweetise Railroad, out in Boone. We had a terrific time - as the ads say, it's a blast from the past! A big steam engine train, carnival games, rides even my 2 year old could enjoy. I'm not sure it holds up for older kids (maybe older than 10?) but we loved it.

My parents joke that they took us to every amusement park up and down the East Coast. I do have some great memories of Story Town in NY which is now called Great Escape. We used to make my dad take us on the scrambler. My mother refused to go - now I do the same thing with my kids. Slade is the designated throw-up ride guy.

We lived pretty close to Rye Playland and I couldn't wait until I was old enough to ride the Dragon Coaster. I remember when I finally got to ride it, I was absolutely terrified. That click-click-click as your cart inches up the first incline, knowing that a huge drop is coming and then the turn into the dark as you head into the dragon! We went to Hershey Park at least once. I have never seen so much chocolate in my life. I seem to remember a ride where your boat actually floated on a chocolate stream. Is that possible? My town had two big events during the year. The Fireman's Carnival and the Grange Fair. The Fireman's Carnival was all about old fashioned rides like the tilt-a-whirl and carny games where you could win the big teddy bear. It was a big deal when you got old enough to run around the Fireman's Carnival with your friends on your own. That was usually 8th or 9th grade. The Grange Fair was more about agriculture I think. I remember muddy shoes. We had the Westchester County Fair, too, but I don't think we ever went. They had the best commercials! Rides & attractions! Nonstop action! At the Westchester County Fair! I can't believe I remember that jingle. We left Tweetsie worn out, dirty and smiling. Benny says he needs a rope and a horse to go along with his new cowboy hat. Nice try. What was your favorite amusement park or carnival as a kid?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home