Stacey's Blog

Friday, February 23, 2007

The Envelope, Please

I love the Oscars. I go to fewer movies these days than ever before; having two little kids will do that to you. I think I saw three movies last year and none of them were close to being academy award nominees. (X-Men, The Prestige and something else. Seriously. That's what I saw.) I haven't watched the Oscars in years, but, like you, I can probably guess who will win Sunday night, just based on buzz. Here are my picks: Best actor: Forest Whitaker Best actress: Helen Mirren Best picture: Babel Best director: Martin Scorsese Supporting Actor: Eddie Murphy Supporting Actress: Jennifer Hudson My one upset pick is Babel. The buzz on Little Miss Sunshine is great, but I think the Academy voters like to be seen as too, too sophisticated. LMS may be endearing, but Babel seems darker and that's why I'm going with it. I don't really care about the nominated movies, but I do love to see the fashions. I know, I'm pathetic. I'm embarrassed to tell you how well I did on this Oscar dress quiz from the Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/artsandliving/features/award-show-central/academy-awards/2007/oscar_dress_quiz.html I got 11 out of 12 right. (and I was cheated on #12 - Cate Blanchett in yellow? Please.) I do have a soft spot in my heart for the Oscar broadcast, though. Because it goes so late, local newscasts will often put a sub in so their A-team newscasters can get the night off. 13 years ago at WUTR in Utica, NY, that sub was me. I did everything, including weather and sports. I've destroyed all tapes of that broadcast though, so don't ask.

2 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger LMo, At 3/01/2007 09:05:00 AM  

  • Saw the typos in my last submission and pulled it. Proof read............ahhhhhh

    As I stated, I am happy for Martin Scorsese and The Departed for the wins.

    The sexy picture comment stands :)

    Regards,

    You and Al do a great job in the AM.

    Ciao Bella

    By Blogger LMo, At 3/01/2007 09:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home