Stacey's Blog

Monday, June 25, 2007

Pump (and Fairy) Update

First, the pump. We have a launch date. If all goes well, Benny goes "live" on the insulin pump Monday July 9th. This Wednesday Benny should start wearing the pump and all that goes with it, but he won't have any actual insulin in it. We'll see how quickly he gets used to wearing it all the time. Then on July 9th, we're supposed to start the real deal. I didn't think we'd been talking too much about the pump to Benny, but Saturday night I found out he's been picking up signals. We were talking to our babysitter about how, while she can't give insulin injections, she may be able to use the pump. When he heard that, he pulled up his shirt and told her, "my pump goes on my belly!" There's a little girl at his preschool with a pump, so he knows what it looks like. It's weird because for the first week or so on the pump, he'll still need shots, so I can't tell him the pump means no more injections. Will a two and a half year old understand the concept of next week? As in, "wear this thing in a fanny pack around your waist all the time, even when you sleep because next week it'll mean you won't need the five shots a day we're currently poking into you." I'll let you know how it works out! Now, the fairy. Lea finally lost that loose tooth. It came out as we were leaving our neighborhood pool last night. We were talking to some friends when we heard Lea yelling, "stop!" to Benny. He was stomping on something on the ground - we thought it was a bug. It was her tooth! For some reason, I started stressing about what the tooth fairy should leave. $1? That sounded right, but should I leave a note as well? Or $1 and a note that she can buy a new book? That's all she wants these days, which is great and something I want to encourage. I decided I was trying just a little bit too hard and we went with $1. She's so excited to show everyone at camp today; that seems like reward enough. Plus, she's already got another loose tooth. I don't want to start high and end up breaking the bank!

1 Comments:

  • Stacey,

    My name is Misty Power and my son, Sebastian, was diagnosed last year with Type I diabetes at 13 months old. Based on the results from his HA1C he had suffered for a while before we figured out the root cause; the day before his hospital admission a pediatrician assured us it wasn't diabetes because he was too young. My husband is also Type I (diagnosed at 24) and had described all of the symptoms to the doctor and even showed him the pump! I work closely with JDRF and I would love to be a resource should you have any questions. Sebastian went on his pump at 17 months old and hasn't skipped a beat. He has yet to cry when pricking his finger, giving him a shot or inserting a site. He truly is my inspiration. He goes to The Goddard School and it is wonderful because he is not treated any differently than the other kids and with his pump it allows him the flexibility and freedom to be just like everyone else. We have yet to meet another family with a child close to Sebastian's age most children are a few years older. I did hear you mention you use a fanny pack but I'd like to recommend the backpack. It is wonderful, fits nicely under the clothes and is completely out of their reach. I'll be happy to forward along the information where we found it online.

    I wish you and your family the best and I welcome the opportunity to speak with you in more detail at our findings and experiences with a diabetic toddler. I may be reached at misty.n.power@bankofamerica.com or on my cell 704-281-8510.

    Have a great day and good luck!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6/28/2007 08:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home